The Open Garden Foundation and Cargonomia cooperate to support sustainable community transition projects, and the strengthening of cooperation between urban and rural initiatives in providing meaningful solutions to modern social, environmental and economic challenges.
Cargonomia is an open community workspace which works to promote sustainable bicycle based logistics and increased access to healthy, locally produced foods in Budapest. The Open Garden Foundation works to implement educational and outreach projects which promote sustainable agriculture and shorter, more transparent food chains in Hungary.
In 2021 our activities will focus mostly on:
- Developing a community organic gardening education center at an additional location in the village of Zsámbok.
- Adding more bikes to our community cargobike sharing fleet and organizing participatory educational programs focusing on everyday cargobike usage for families.
- Developing and reinforcing cooperation with our partners while redesigning Cargonomia organisation in Budapest (Co-working space with Valyo, vegetable box distribution at Golya and cooperation with Golya Futar, cargobike logistics center in the VIIIth district).
In addition, we will continue to work to spread knowledge of organic gardening practices and bicycle repair and usage competency through workshops in schools, urban gardens and community spaces in the city and countryside. We will also work together to further develop our community cargobicycle and trailer sharing system in Budapest and further develop a number of urban agroforestry projects in the city.
In addition to our urban activities we will continue to help organize a host a number of open educational events in the garden in Zsámbok while working to maintain our community fuel wood and agroforestry project (in collaboration with the PAD Foundation for Environmental Justice) which helped plant over around 1000 saplings in the garden plot in the autumn of 2019 and 2020.
We also self-constructed a low-tech solar air panel in a project lead by our trainees during the Autumn in 2020 (also, see more below about our activities, in particular in time of Covid, in videos).
The partnership supports:
- Organic food production Distribution of local organic food products by bicycle in Budapest
- Informative, participatory outreach events on sustainability and well-being, low-tech and Degrowth, reciprocity economy and eco-feminism.
- Practical, DIY workshops in our community spaces
- Spreading knowledge of the multifaceted uses for bikes and cargobikes in the urban environment
- Maintenance of a Community Cargobike sharing system
- We are also involved in research and educational projects
- Regular hosting of student trainees seeking practical experience in organic gardening and self organized community sustainability movements
- Experiment and promote urban agroforestry, permaculture gardens in Budapest
We thank you for supporting our activities!
Nyitott Kert alapítvány
Also, feel free to make direct donation to:
Nyitott Kert alapítvány
Szent-Laszlo utca 58, 2116 Zsambok, Hungary
Bank Details : Budapest Bank Zrt.
Bank swift BUDAHUHB
More about our activities in 2020, in particular while facing the pandemics: